Saturday, December 4, 2010

Atomic Cocktails Anyone?

For months I have been on the lookout for a piece of furniture to turn into a bar. I was feeling the need to move the bar ware from the kitchen to the living room as it was taking up a little too much cabinet space. (I need to make room for my ever growing collection of Pyrex.) Finally I found this for $9 at the Milford Goodwill.

What is it? I have no idea. It's either a small narrow bookcase or it's the top to a hutch. Regardless of it's intended purpose, the open end quarter round shelves give it a distinct mid-modern vibe. It's got some watermarks and there is a chunk of facing missing from the front. But for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Here is the finished product:


My Mirro shaker and jigger are now displayed in all their glory

These Tiki dudes were $1 each at Goodwill . The cigar box stores a few small bar implements.
I don't think the cigar box is vintage. I find them to be useful things to have around the house.
Usually they only sell for one or two dollars at the GW.


This ice bucket was another Goodwill item and under $5. It's teak, brass and has a vacuum insulated basin.


It was made by Henry & Miller Kraftware NYC. Definitely Mid-Century!



Now I can focus on the next project. Rearranging the kitchen cabinets to show off my Pyrex and glass ware!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Monogirl
    Good to find your blog - its always a good ploy to negate the guilty feelings of spending money on random thrift shop goodies by finding someone else who does it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool! I like it. But....You're gonna fill that up so fast! You're gonna need a bigger bar, especially when you start putting lots of bottles of booze out. But if you keep it you should think about maybe putting some wood tapper legs on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Claire: Absolutely!

    @Mr.Modtomic: Great idea about the legs! I plan to start selling smalls after New Years and the idea is to store everything in sight around my apartment. I think I'll just keep rearranging as I sell. As for liquor, I'm a G & T girl, so as long as I have room for the Tanqueray, I'm good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bookcase/bar! I'm using a glass-front bookcase for my bar. I have the liquor on top and use the shelves for displaying glassware and serveware. And I use a tea cart for my computer table. Isn't re-purposing fun? :)

    ReplyDelete