Thursday, February 3, 2011

Star Glow

My haul of Marcrest American Heritage dinnerware for the Vinyl Whores had me longing for my own collectible pattern. I found some pieces of Salem Biscayne, and I thought "Sure, why not?" But it didn't really send me, if you know what I mean. I keep finding myself drawn to the patterns with under glazes. Their patterns are put on before the finished glaze, so there is little or no fading of the pattern over time. I really like the almost watercolor quality this creates. 

I had a look at the other Marcrest patterns and I really like the Stetson Green Pine:


It's not the easiest find, but not particularly rare either. I feel like the chances of finding these in a thrift or even an antique mall are slim.  A couple Thrift Share Mondays ago I happened upon Disaster Cat's blog and subsequently her new Etsy shop Knick Knack Parade. I am proud to say I became her first Esty customer with my purchase of 4 dinner plates and 4 berry bowls of the Royal China Star Glow pattern. Behold:





With an under glaze and gold atomic stars, they are all I could want in a vintage dish. Due to the inclement weather, the package took forever to arrive. It then took me an extra day to get it out of the car as said inclement weather has had me parking a couple blocks away from my house. The last thing I needed was to trip and fall on the ice,  breaking the dishes Disaster Cat had so lovingly packed.  I am happy to say all 8 pieces arrived intact and are headed for the cupboard today. Perhaps tomorrows breakfast will be served on Star Glow.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so excited! How exciting to feel a part of the vintage - loving blogging community... We too are having our fair share of winter weather (Lake Shore Drive has been closed for two days!)... I'm enjoying reading your blog posts, thanks for mentioning mine!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! i'm collecting this pattern as well and found a plethora in my lil hometown when visiting last. SO FUN! good luck on your collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i Love the starburst plates, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great pattern! I'm glad your collection is off to such a nice start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love both patterns, especially the pinecone by stetson. i find stetson around here frequently i will keep my eyeballs peeled for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! Today's breakfast (er, brunch) was blueberry pancakes on Star Glow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monogirl- I found a creamer and sugar bowl in Star Glow pattern a few weekends ago...want to be my first Etsy purchase, as well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catpercher-sadly I need to spend my money to replace one of the bowls. It fell off the dish drainer into the sink and broke in half. Bah and fie! I should have just put it in the dishwasher.
    But do let me know your shop name and I will favorite you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am finding you through google lol. I saw on another post you were interested in getting rid of some salem biscayne pattern. I actually have a few peices of the Glow pattern. If you still have the biscayne would you be interested in trading? You can find my email over on my blog. I am glad to have met you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goldie, I still have it and will email you later this week. Sorry I'm getting back to you so late-you comment got buried in my inbox.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Has anyone seen the set of glasses to this set its driving me nuts looking for them. An older woman that I took care of in her last few years of her life left these to me and the set is incomplete. I would LOVE to complete the set.ritageet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete