Monday, February 7, 2011

Thrift Share Monday-$10 Savers Coupon

It has been an insane 2 weeks in the life of Vintage Spinster.  I've been working 2 jobs, that have both been crazy hectic and full of emotional drama. Throw all the crappy winter weather on top (To which I know many of you can relate!) and I am wiped. Exhausted. Done in.
So what to do on my first real day off in 2 weeks? Go thrifting and buy cat food! Especially since the snail mail deposited two stellar coupons in my mailbox. 10% off at Petco,  and more importantly, a $10 no purchase necessary coupon from Savers. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Savers is basically giving me $10 worth of merchandise for free. So first thing Sunday after a good long sleep and some breakfast I headed out the door. Once at Savers, it was kind of slim pickins' (and the coupon expired next week) so I decided to have a look at the books...


The pickings in the books were not slim at all. I bought Shelley II an autobiography by Shelly Winters for Garth. (Dan gave him her first bio Shelley for Christmas, so of course one must continue reading the "series.")  The hardbacks of Shardik and The Cider House Rules are both book club editions, but both are rare enough I should be able to turn a profit.  I have occasionally sold my old clothes as well as books on eBay.  I have a weird knack for finding first editions at library book sales. So even though I've never gotten so serious as to use one of those scanner things like Apron Thrift Girl, I've managed to make do.

I also found these nifty Sunset Books from 1969 on landscaping. They have some amazing shots of MCM yards as well as many "how-to's" on things like swimming pool lighting and casting your own decorative fountains out of concrete!


 I also picked up this book from the 70's full of fabric decorating projects. It has your usual fare on drapes, table cloths, and pillows, but also has instructions on recovering lampshades, making an over thedoor shoe caddy, and recovering furniture  



It has some pretty fun illustrations.




 The only non-book item I got for my $10 was this cute fiberglass tray:




Since I had decided to take the day off from all responsibility, (except for buying the cat food) I stopped in at the Foxon Goodwill.  I have added two new pieces to the Kings Crown collection with these:


They were $.49 each. They are slightly shorter than the usual cordial size. Perhaps they are port glasses? This guy was half-off, so he only cost $1.


 He's got some bent feathers, but I think that they are easily fixable.


That's all for this week's Thrift Share Monday which is linking up to Apron Thrift Girl as usual. Don't forget, you can now "Like" Vintage Spinster on Facebook!

5 comments:

  1. Love that tray the MOSTEST! I'm heading straight to Savers.com to see if they have a mailing list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the peacock. I bet you won't have any trouble straightening the wire on the tail feathers. I also love that so many of us have been posting about books lately. That will give us all some new titles to search for when we're out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the peacock is looking back at his tail as if to say, "What is going on back there?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. good finds! vintage decorating books are so amazing to look through :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that peacock does look confused at the state of his tailfeathers!

    ReplyDelete