Monday, March 21, 2011

Thrift Share Monday

My work schedule is still pretty intense so I only had time for a brief hour sojourn to the Orange Goodwill and Savers on Sunday. It was one of those days where Goodwill was a Zoo with a capital Z. Children running everywhere, screaming, playing with the used walkers and canes.  So I got in and out pretty quick.  While I was checking the mens section for Pendleton a few ties caught my eye. I looked closer and realized someone's collection of vintage designer ties was hanging in front of me and most of them were half off, which made them $1 each.

These two Yale ties have Yale Co-Op Tags in them. The blue one has the Yale crest. I think the other one is probably the colors of one of the colleges or Graduate schools. 


From left to right: Liberty of London floral, Christian Dior mid-century atomic print, (and my favorite) an Oleg Cassini. He was Jackie Kennedy's favorite designer, you know.

I found this one interesting because it's wool, and still has it's price tag.


This brown abstracted paisley is not a particular designer, but that "Made in Italy" label is definitely mid-century. I will probably keep this one for my own costume collection. A vintage tie can go a long way towards passing off a new suit as vintage onstage.



I only found one thing at Savers and is it a doozy. Check this out!


It's a giant pottery fish serving platter! I paid $4 and it turns out it's maker is Royal Haeger Pottery. It's got a chip on it's lower lip, but I can live with it. I'm definitely going to keep it for a little while.



I'm linking up with Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday! And be sure to check out my item that's up for trade this week as part of Trade Me Up, a vintage doggie salt & pepper shaker. I'm pending a Pyrex trade for my item from week one. Very exciting!

9 comments:

  1. I love the Christian Dior atomic print tie...and your fish is spectacular. I'd keep it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color of the fish. And a chip in the lip? Who cares! He's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fish is awesome!!! It's so orange!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, you know so much about the beautiful ties you found. Love the Royal Haeger piece, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...instead of a chip and dip, maybe he's a fish and chip?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ties! I would imagine the thrift is a good place to pick up ties these days with the skinny ties back in vogue... (not that I know anything about fashion!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just have to say, you find the best accessories! these ties are great! and the Vera scarves? i always search for those :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Want that bright, beautiful platter!! O_O I'd have snatched that up in a heartbeat, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete