Monday, April 18, 2011

Thrift Share Monday

As I mentioned last week over on the Book of the Face, I went to a couple of Estate Sales last weekend. They were kind of meh. I wasn't expecting too much as it was late afternoon on Sunday. It was just really nice to get out of New Haven for a few hours.

After the first Estate Sale, which was kind of a bust, I stopped at the Clinton Goodwill. I find they have a great clothing selection due to their close proximity to two outlet malls. I got myself a pair of jeans and found this vintage wool stadium blanket. I paid $6, which is totally fair as it's in great condition.


Apparently Faribault Woolen Mills is similar to my beloved Pendletons. American made from an American mill. Faribault opened in 1865 and since the tag is celebrating the company's centennial that puts this blankets production at 1965. It appears Faribault closed due to bankruptcy in 2009.  So sad, but I'm glad to have this bit of American wool history.  Are there any Faribault lovers out there?


I headed over to Essex for another Estate Sale. I'd like to give a shout out to the nice lady at the Cumberland Farms Gas Station who directed me to the Shell Station to find a public restroom. The folks at the Shell were really nice too. I found the Estate Sale and there wasn't much to be had. I bought some forks for my office for $ .75. (They keep disappearing.) 


And I found these in a jewelry box with a bunch of janky jewelry.  What are they, you ask?


Collar studs. Back in the day collars and shirts were two separate items of clothing.  You attached your collar to your shirt with 2 collar studs. One in the front and one in the back, the flat side went against your neck. We still use them in costumes and they are not the easiest thing to find. (Mainly because few people know what they are.) I'm happy to have a couple for my personal collection. As you can guess they have a tendency to get lost because they are so small, so you can never have too many. I love the mother of pear inlay and the "Peerless 10 cents" engraved them.

I'm linking up with Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday! Later, Nerds.

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen a collar stud before. Now I will know what it is if I see one in my future thrifting adventures.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah, that's what I recently found in a tin of old buttons. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thank you for explaining the collar stud. I have several, since I'm always buying tins of old buttons. I just could never figure out where they went or how....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, collar studs would be something you find in an old button tin. Glad to have helped! There are also ones with little flip tops in the small end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, lucky lady! You just won the Big 5-0 Giveaway at Let's Go Thrifting! Shoot me an e-mail with your shipping info so I can send your prize. Congrats! <3 Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!

    ReplyDelete