Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The LuRay Grail

These are my two cup and saucer sets from the LuRay Pastels line. I bought them in Oregon years ago with the intention of returning to the scene of the crime and purchasing the green and the yellow to complete the set. I know they seem a little twee for my taste, but I feel like they have a great Alice in Wonderland vibe.

A few months later, I went back and nothing. The seller had vacated the booth. I looked on eBay but  never aggressively bid on any figuring I would find them in an antique store eventually. In all my travels in the past few years since buying those tea cups I have never seen any LuRay Pastels anywhere. Until last Sunday. I found a single yellow teacup and saucer at Stratford Antiques for $10. I considered buying it. But it wasn't in the greatest condition and it was covered in dust. I figured it wasn't going any where and I'd pick it up next time I was in.

It's a good thing I waited. I stopped off at the Milford Goodwill on my way home and as I turned into the dinner ware section, there was a giant mess of them for $30. I turned around and got a cart.


The set is made up of 69 individual pieces. It looks like at one point there were many more. At one point there must have been 4 pieces of each of the 4 colors for every item. There are 4 kinds of plates and 3 kinds of bowls.



I can't even begin to imagine how big this set was. In addition to the regular dishes there are a few serving pieces.



Sugar & creamer of course. I love the deco lines on these.


The cups and saucers are all kinds of mismatched. Only one blue saucer for three cups.


It even looks like the set was amassed over a long period of time.  The makers marks vary and some of the cups and saucers don't even have makers marks. (My original two don't.)



There is a lot of variance with in the green glaze on some pieces. (Bluer on the left, greener on the right, look towards the top of the photo.)


Even some of the plates that are the same size are slightly different shapes. My guess is that the owner started with one color for every piece and expanded from there. For instance,  these saucers. The saucer on the left has Fiesta ware like rings, a thinner ridge, and a lemon yellow color. The saucer on the right has a more buttery color and is lacking the ring details.


I'll definitely be keeping a green and yellow cup and saucer set. I may keep a few more pieces but a lot of this will be for ReSelling. Most of it is in really good shape.  It's not a super hot eBay item and there is quite a bit of it out there. But considering I paid $.43 a piece, I should be able to easily make a profit. I've ordered the Collectors Guide on LuRay, hopefully that will have some good insight into the differences between pieces.


9 comments:

  1. Wow! what a steal! I love finding great bargains like that at thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a lot of LuRay stuff here in St. Louis. I've never collected it because it seems pretty common and has a flowery flair to it. Pretty stuff though. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your display looks wonderful! How fantastic that you came across all those pieces after waiting so long to complete your set. I can just imagine how you felt when you found them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so great that you found such a big stash of LuRay at a great price. I have a few pieces in my booth here in Mississippi, but I don't find that they are very popular. Congrats on the find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WTG!! I got my set a couple of years ago. Now that I try to eat right portions and instead of super sized, I have found the plates to be perfect and I swear everything looks so pretty on them! I love mine, so have fun with them they are sturdy things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see your rendition of an Alice in Wonderland tea setting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, so pretty and spring-like! I have got to get down to the shore more often - I'm up in New Milford, we have some fun spots around here, but I'd love to check out the Stratford Center.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EM-And I need to go North! I've been trying to get as far as Seymour for months, to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found you on a search via pinterest and loved your story...I even pinned the shopping cart photo! I have been collecting for over 20 years. Love my LuRay! Here is one of my blog posts in case you are interested: http://bellarosaantiques.blogspot.com/2012/07/luray-pastels-dinnerware-celebrating-20.html#

    ReplyDelete