Monday, June 20, 2011

Thrift Share Monday: Time, Why You Punish Me?

Life is still chaotic, though it has gone down a notch or two on the crazy meter. I managed to at least get some boxes out of the middle of my kitchen and put them down in the basement last week. I have today off and will hopefully be able to get some stuff done around the house.  The living room has been my big project for the last month. I've been rearranging and trying to get the old Ikea (Don't judge me!) furniture replaced with new/old furniture though I haven't had much luck.

The living room currently is in utter chaos. I've got boxes and crates full of decor piled up on one side of the room and the furniture is not so much arranged as it is just "there." Before Festival began I manged to downsize my books and reduce my bookcase storage. (Those who know me will know that that was difficult for me.) But I do have one oasis of arranged decor which I will share today.


Every time I get frustrated that I haven't the time to continue the progress on the living room I look at my new bar. (The table is really a vanity that goes with my bedroom set. It was holding my TV for a very long time.) I've shown you the atomic lamp before and you've seen some of the barware, but I really want to share this clock radio.


$5 at the Clinton, CT Goodwill. It was hanging out by the electrical test strip, so I plugged it in and was delighted to see it lit up and appeared to be working. I tell you, there were some Hipsters that day giving me the stink-eye for getting to that clock before they did. When I brought it home I plugged it in to see if it would keep time, if the alarm would work, etc.



It does! My favorite part is the "second hand," which is actually the starburst next to the numbers. I've made a little video so you can see it in action. Watch the dot move around the swirling starburst. (You are getting verrrry sleeeepy....)

video


You can also hear on the video the only downfall of this fabulous clock. It's a bit noisy. But not all the time! Sometimes it's barely audible and sometimes it's like, "Damn! What is that?!" I figure if it really starts to annoy me, I'll take it apart and see if anything can be done. For now I just enjoy gazing at this little slice of heaven while watching Roseanne and eating Klondike bars. (It's all I have strength for after work most days.)

I'm linking up with Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday, as we do.

8 comments:

  1. The little starburst thingie is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clocks great! Reminds me of a clock my grandparents had. I'd have definitely scooped it up if I happened across it.

    I'm gotten the hipster stare too, quite often, but it only happens at one particular store as majority of them live in one area of the city & it's the only store their fixed gear bikes can get them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That clock is awesome. The makes you sleepy second hand is like a bonus. No counting sheep just stare at your clock for a couple minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tableau is perfection, I love it. And that clock is to die for. can't wait for july so i can come up and play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok. Totally giving you a virtual stink eye in jealousy over that clock :) It's pretty much the most awesome thing ever.
    And as a recent mover myself, I'm so with you on taking comfort in the few little vignettes that are set up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That clock is GLORIOUS! I'd block that noise out just to be able to gaze upon it.

    ReplyDelete