Friday, June 24, 2011

Vintage Kitsch'n: Eggs Florentine

When we last checked in on the happenings in my Kitsch'n, I had prepped the greens for the Cooking Calendar's Eggs Florentine Recipe from July.

The next step is to "Arrange 4 hard cooked eggs, cut in halves, on top."  I pre-boiled the eggs, too. I ended up only using 3 and slicing them into quarters.


Next, "Cover with 1 cup of Medium White Sauce (p.157)" Turning to page 157, we are instructed to melt 2 tbsp of butter in a heavy saucepan. 


I picked up this heavy orange cast iron enameled saucepan at Goodwill for $1.50. Isn't it pretty?


After the butter has melted I blend in the flour, salt, and pepper-creating a roux.


Then I turned off the heat and stirred in the milk.  After the milk is added, I turned on the heat and brought the sauce up to a boil, stirring constantly.


It thickened up quite nicely. After the sauce is finished it's poured on top of the eggs and greens.


On top of the sauce, I sprinkled a crumb topping made of panko crumbs and a 3 cheese blend from Whole Foods.  


Then the whole thing goes into the oven for 20 minutes.


The finished dish:



I would love to say this was a really tasty dinner, but sadly it's very bland. It's not totally inedible. It just really needed to be a hollandaise or a cheese sauce, or have some more seasoning. I've been eating avocados with the leftovers, which has given it enough flavor to get by.


I'm not sure what next week will bring unless I find a fabulous Asian inspired cookbook between now and then. I have a lot of Bok Choy I need to deal with.

2 comments:

  1. I have to confess that Eggs Florentine has never sounded very good to me, although I love all the ingredients separately. However, I was looking at recipes, and Emeril Lagasse's version sounds downright tasty. I may have to make some. Love your saucepan and your Pyrex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some beautiful cookware! Love the cast iron piece's handle - were there any markings on it?

    ReplyDelete