Monday, August 8, 2011

Thrift Share Monday

I didn't really hit the thrifts too much this week. I had a lot to do, getting ready for Measure for Measure fittings. I did manage to get to a Goodwill with my assistant one day when we had a two hour break between fittings. Before we went in the store she asked if we needed to be shopping with "blinders on", meaning for the show only. "Oh, hell no!" I replied, "I would never make you do that." In fact I picked up this Bermuda Bag for myself, about 2 seconds after walking in the door. It's very similar to the ones I have in my Etsy shop, though it's a different brand.



I love the wooden clasp.


The lining is in excellent condition, leading me to believe it wasn't used much, despite the moth hole in the plaid fabric.


It even had this weird little bag in the inside pocket. I'm guessing it's for change. I'm keeping this one. Due to the moth holes though, it's quarantined in the freezer for the moment.


I also swung by Savers on Thursday morning in a quest for a maxi dress for the show. Last summer those ugly things were popping up like weeds. Now I can't find one to save my life. (I managed to find something in costume stock eventually.) But I did snag this out of the furniture section for myself:


Hello, mid-century, folding magazine rack for $3. How are you today? I actually debated not getting this, then I thought, mid century. $3. You'd be a fool. It was the stamp from Poland that sealed the deal. It's the only identifying mark I can find. 


Anyone have any ideas on a maker or designer?

I'll be heading out to do some more shopping for Measure for Measure tonight. So I'm sure I will have plenty of goodies to share over the next week. Though tonight's trip will include the Mall (shudder), you just can't find good goth stuff second hand. 

I'm linking up with Her Library Adventures for Flea Market Finds.

8 comments:

  1. You got some good stuff! That magazine rack was a steal, sorry I don't know anything about it. I have my own magazine rack surplus problem, but I would have to make room for yet another one if I found the deal you found. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the magazine rack too, it reminds me of a little two seater Ercol sofa that I recently found on Gumtree...it would go really well with it...:o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the magazine rack and Bermuda bag! Both are gorgeous. I didn't thrift much this weekend too, sometimes you just can't fit it in or need a break. Next weekend though...the thrifts shall feel my wrath!

    Also, you might not always encounter good "goth stuff" second hand, but it's easy to make second-hand stuff goth, isn't it? Rip up some stuff, add safety pins...

    Oh wait, that's punk? Let me get off your blog with my lack of style knowledge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sucker for magazine racks, but I rarely know who made them. Yours is a nice one, and I'll be interested to find out if anyone can identify it. Love the bag too. Congrats on a couple of good finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like that Bermuda bag. I'm a sucker for bags. My thrifted collection is getting rather ridiculous.

    <3Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!
    http://LetsGoThrifting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that Bermuda Bag, what style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen a Bermuda Bag, ...that little clasp is so special.
    Love the magazine rack. Just imagine a toothless old man copying magazine racks in Eastern Block Poland from a luxe western magazine, his wife always trying to steal it from him...but he would hide it at night.

    ReplyDelete