Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thrifty Costume Design Part V: Dress Rehearsal

I think I may have failed to mention that this show takes place outdoors, in a park. Edgerton Park to be specific, which once was an estate. It has tons of character and is my favorite place in New Haven. Let me give you a tour:

The set is on a flat piece of the property where the house used to stand:


Isn't Vladimir's set amazing? You can read more about it and watch a video interview at The New Haven Register web site.

Our dressing rooms are in the old Carriage House:


Who wouldn't want to work here?



We were supposed to have our first dress rehearsal Sunday night, but because it rained like, 6 inches that day we had to stay indoors. We felt the most productive use of our time was to have what we call a Dress Parade. All of the actors get in their costumes and stand in front of myself and The Director. Then, we judge them.


No, not really. We just look at the clothes and then The Director and I discuss any changes that need to be made.

Monday was spent frantically doing the notes and finishing a few costumes. The actors had the day off so I was able to get the clothes to myself for the whole day to work on them. I even managed a trip to the gym.

My assistant and I continued our work all day Tuesday. In the evening, everyone got back into their costumes and we worked through the show, looking at the costumes and the other technical elements.



Wednesday, more work during the day and final dress in the evening. We managed a full run of the show without stopping. For all of the lost time due to the rain, this was a minor miracle.


Tonight is Opening Night! My assistant and I still have plenty to be getting on with. The actors will still be rehearsing for a few hours in the afternoon while my assistant and I finish our notes. I have to say I am very happy with the results thus far. Now if you will excuse me, I just need to fine tune a few more things...


No comments:

Post a Comment