Friday, September 23, 2011

Caucasian Eggplant Caviar

From: BHG American Heritage Cook Book1975
Recipe: Caucasian Eggplant Caviar

I've been working on a Russian play called Three Sisters for the past two weeks, so I've got Old World Russia on the brain. I've also got eggplant coming out of my ears, so this recipe is a perfect combo for my life right now.

The BHG American Heritage cookbook has a few chapters devoted to the food that Immigrants eat and their influence on American food.  According to the BHG, Caucasian Eggplant Caviar is a substitute for real caviar, which would be beyond the salary of a poor Immigrant. These days it would be beyond the salary of most of America.


Creative Cookery: I do what I want. (Substitutions and changes)
Boiled Eggplant? Oh, no. The instruction of boiling anything vegetable is a cornerstone of what is wrong with the American food system today. Who wants to eat that? Nobody. I sliced it into 1/4" thick rounds and baked it for 30 minutes.
Finely chopped = food processor.

Kitchen Wares:

Square Flowers Bowl

Verdict: Blue Ribbon, for creative use of a vegetable that does not taste like said vegetable.


I have no idea if this actually tastes like caviar, having never eaten it myself. In my house growing up, fish eggs were for bait. This recipe is tasy on crackers and toast and as a sandwich filler with hummus. It makes a lot for one person, if you haven't guessed. I froze half of it, and that will be called "sauce" when it has thawed.

I hope you've enjoyed the new and improved Vintage Kitsch'n. I picked up more books at the thrifts today, so there are plenty more recipes to come.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have thought to combine it with hummus, but that sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BHG American Heritage Book is a wonderful source for all things about our immigrant heritage! I lost my first copy and searched until several years later when I found a used copy in Strand's Books near NYU in Manhattan. I found the Caucasian Eggplant Caviar recipe while looking for a 'different' vegetable recipe for a cooking activity at work with my developmentally disabled people with dementia, who usually need to eat soft foods.

    ReplyDelete