Monday, September 26, 2011

Thrift Share Monday: Pyrex, Wert, and Some Handbags

I'm still working through sharing my finds from last weekend's spectacular thrift haul. In addition to the charity sales I attended, I managed to swing by a couple Goodwill's

So, check this out. It's an enamel saucepan who's interior and handles have  seen better days, but I think I can give it a decent refurb. But look at the pattern. Very Pyrex Spring Blossom. No?


In fact it is remarkably similar to the Carafe which according to Corelle Corner is called green Floral and associated with Verde.


Anyway, despite it's flaws, for $5 I had to have it in my collection. Though I did debate long and hard. It is in sad shape, but since I can't even find another photo of this piece on the Internet, I think I made the right call.

In addition to the pot there was also a Spring Blossom 1 1/2 pint mixing bowl.


And a light green Verde 1 1/2pt mixing bowl, both were $1 each.


Hamden seems to be the place where I find the Wert items. This time it was a pair of trivet tiles, both were $1.

I love the imprint in the cork on the back:


At the New Haven Goodwill on Foxon I had great luck in the handbag department.

I found this leather purse for $7 which will be a good substitution for my Mini Timbuk2 Messenger that I use as a purse. I've been looking for something a bit less utilitarian to use for fancier dress occasions.


But speaking of Timbuk2, I spotted this medium sized messenger bag on another rack. It was only $8!!! These bags go for $120.00 minimum.


Hmmm, I don't think I will be bothering to pluck out the embroidery on this one. It will make a great carry-on bag anyway and I would never spend the full retail price on one.



Thanks for stopping by for another Thrift Share Monday!
Linkage:
New to Vintage Spinster?
Instagram: Monogirl

8 comments:

  1. Would love to know how you plan to refurb the enamel saucepan. Do you have a secret on cleaning up the inside? I have seen several lately but sometimes pass them up because the inside is so bad. Yours is VERY Pyrex Spring Blossom. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately the inside only has one chip. I've read there are repair kits available with food grade enamel. Since it's only the one chip, I thought it couldnt hurt to try. The wood on the handles needs refinished and there is really bad chipping around the base of the handle on the outside. I'm not sure if it's possible to fix that or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't familiar with the Wert tiles. They're really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun pot. I would have snatched it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thanks for the tip above on repairing damaged enamel! I think your little saucepan looks like it may have been from a fondue set, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ TT Yes, I think that it probably was a fondue pot because of the shape. But I think it will do for stovetop use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hooked on your blog - not only because we frequent the same exact stores - but because I love to see that someone else shops as much as I do. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete