Saturday, September 3, 2011

Vintage Kitsch'n: Far East Eggplant

Today's Vintage Kitsch'n post hails from the "Far East." I have no idea where the Far East might be, but I'm sure it sounded very exotic to a housewife in the 1960's. However I do know where to get some eggplant. 


The CSA has been producing tons of eggplant. Which is great, but another one of those tricky veggies that can get mushy fast. And I have a limited eggplant repertoire. Fortunately, I can now add this super fast easy recipe to it.

First chop the veggies. Eggplant:


Tomato and green peppers:


Cook in a skillet with a little olive oil. My skillet is only so big, so I had to cook the veggies in batches.



Combine the tomato, green peppers, eggplant, and onions with a clove of minced garlic in a broiling pan.


Add Parmesan cheese and crisp crumbled (turkey) bacon.


And now to deal with the broiler. I will make a long story short by saying I once lit a pie on fire one Thanksgiving when I was trying to broil a praline topping. That incident has created a healthy fear of the broiler. It's made even more scary because my broiler's door has a tendency to stick.


So my plan was to crouch on the floor in front of the open broiler door with my oven mitts and an extinguisher. Ready to jump if I saw flame!


Broiler pan in!

Success! I probably could have left it in a little longer to brown more, but baby steps, people, baby steps. (I will also never use the broiler before a hurricane again. I really really wanted to open a window after I was finished.)


I'm sure this is indeed good with hamburgers and lettuce wedges as the recipe suggests. I served it with brown rice. (I think it would be even better with some jasmine rice.) It probably took 30 minutes start to finish. Another successful recipe from the Cooking Calendar!

2 comments:

  1. We've been growing weary of eggplant around here too - love the stuff but at some point the ideas run low. Love the addition of bacon and broiling (laughing at the image of you at the ready with the fire extinguisher)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eggplant, especially with lots of garam masala to spice it up. Your dish sounds really good, but like Annie, I was laughing so hard at the idea of you crouched with the fire extinguisher that I could hardly see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete