Saturday, October 1, 2011

Eggplant Acapulco

From: The Sunset Casserole Book 1975 (original publication 1965)
Recipe: Eggplant Acapulco

It's been a rather hectic week at work. it seems like every time I sit down to write this post, I have another fire to put out or a sock to find. But even with the craziness as a group we carved out time for a little potluck dinner at work. With so many fabulous recipes to choose from, it was hard to narrow it down. But of course I had an eggplant to get rid of use up. So I had a look at one of my recent vintage cook book finds, The Sunset Casserole Book.

I found this intriguing recipe for Eggplant Acapulco. Which of course made me think of the Flintstones, that fabulous Stone Age/Mid Century Modern family, and all of their goings on about Rockapulco. After reading the recipe, I realized this really isn't a Mexican dish (Which is where Acapulco is), it's really more Italian in nature. How very 60's But, as it's description suggests, it is "a good choice for a buffet dinner or potluck supper." Because of time issues I prepped the casserole the night before and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Then I popped it in the oven in the morning while I got ready for work.


Creative Cookery: I do what I want.
Boiled eggplant? Don't think so.
1/2 Pound of fresh mushrooms, sliced: Giant Portabella Mushroom caps baby!
2 cans of tomato sauce: take leftover frozen Eggplant Caviar, thaw, add water to thin, add oregano and basil, heat. You have sauce.

Kitchen Wares:
Square Flower Casserole and Primary Fridgie
Finally, an excuse to use one of the cradles!
Verdict: Blue Ribbon, it was a big hit with the cast, (As was the Pyrex) as evidenced by the 5 bites that were left that I ate for lunch the next day. Of course it's hard to go wrong with mushrooms and Romano cheese. Those ladies in the Sunset test kitchen knew what they were doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment