Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Happy Trees

One of my completed projects from last week was framing this little tree patch. It belonged to my Grandfather. He was part of the 91st Infantry in Italy in World War II. This is the patch from his uniform. He gave it to me when I visited him last summer.

I knew I needed to frame it. It's small and I was so afraid it would get lost. I spent months looking for a small oval frame. Instead, I found this one at Helping Hands a couple weeks ago for 50 cents. It's vintage and the curved glass is a pefect fit for the patch.




The tree looked plain against a neutral background so I backed it with a small piece of plaid vintage wool.

I hung it on my Oregon wall. Which is funny, because the Infantry Division was reactivated in Oregon in 1942 at Camp White and my Grandfather has never even been to Oregon. He was assigned as a replacement once the Division was already in Europe.

I'm so proud to have this little piece of family and American history in my living room.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a wonderful thing to have, and it looks beautiful against the plaid.

    ReplyDelete