Sunday, January 15, 2012

Weekend Update: New Year, New Thing Each Week

Myself and the Vinyl Whores
on New Years Eve.
First let me say I know a few people who had a really, really great 2011. I am happy for them, I really am. Proportionally, I know more people who didn't. For me things were fine until about midway through and then it all started to slide downhill ever so slowly. And what happens when things start to go downhill slowly? They pick up speed. Which is what happened around the beginning of November and crap just barreled on through to the end of December from there.

The problems? Number one, my Allergies. The easiest way to describe it is that I am allergic to Outside = most trees, all grass, various pollens, etc. and Inside = dust mites and the cats. Essentially, I am allergic to the World. The allergies always get ramped up in the summer because I spend 3 months working outdoors. The last two summers, though have come with some very unpleasant vertigo, which makes me feel like Lucille Two. (Which is to say some days I am very like Liza Minnelli: wheezy, incoherent, and surrounded by gay men.) Then I had the pleasure of working on our production of The Three Sisters which had 10-15 birch trees on the set. When I say I am allergic to trees, I don't mean the pollen. I mean the WHOLE tree. The leaves, the bark, the wood itself. The birches bridged the allergy gap from summer into fall, which went on for-ev-er, delaying the time when all the leaves have actually fallen and I can get on with my life.  As for the dust and cat hair, I can wrap my bed in as many allergy proof covers as I can afford, but it doesn't change the fact that I work in the filthiest buildings at Yale. So in summation I spent the last 6 months feeling like crap and being horribly depressed because of it.

The good news is, I'm finally on allergy shots again, after a 15 year hiatus. They are helping, though it is slow going. It took about a month to get them set up and there has been a slight delay in consistently getting the shots every week because of the Holidays. Hopefully, the slow roll will pick up speed soon. 

My other issue has been a real lack of creative output. At my core I am an artist, not a business woman. I realized that I have time for putting energy into creative ventures or I have time for ReSelling, I don't have time for both. The happiest creative moments I've had in the last 6 months were working on Measure for Measure, making this quilt for a friend's baby, and making another quilt for a Christmas gift. (That blog post will come later.) So, in summation, I am kicking the ReSelling idea to the curb. I am going to focus my energy, and little spare time, on making art. If that leads to monetary gain, terrific. Fortunately, I have an upcoming design project that as luck would have it, will easily use up the excess inventory around the house, but I'll speak more on that later this month.

So do I have any goals for the New Year? You betcha.  I am going to continue blogging a couple times per week, so fear not Constant Reader, I'll be back in my routine soon. I am trying to kick start the creative juices by taking a page out of the book of the amazing Jonathan Coulton and producing one creative "Thing a Week". The Things may be fantastic or awful, they may be made of tape and string, they may merely be a new board on Pinterest,  but they will be out of my system, which is all that really needs to happen. You may follow the progress in the Weekend Updates on Sundays* which I'll link up over on Thrift Core. So let's get to it...

*******
Previous Thing a Week Items:

Week 1: Bad Art Night #1


Materials: catalog, scissors, scotch tape.
What is Bad Art Night? Check the link here,
and give it a try, you wont regret it.



Materials: Noro Kureyon Sock # S184
alternated every two rows with  
Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift in Rosewood.


Projects to Begin This Week:

1. A new knitting project on the needles. Probably another one of the strickmich scarf patterns. 
2. Outline blog posts for the rest of January.
3. Create a video presentation for my next design project. The director of our next show at Yale, Tina Landau, shared a video she created of research and musical inspiration. I found this so much more evocative than holding up a piece of research and saying "So... here's a picture of a shop. And here's another one..." 
4. Start gathering fabrics for the next Top Secret Quilting Project. And by this I mean, go visit Carol at the English Market.
5. Get the living room furniture sorted out. Check in tomorrow for Thrift Share Monday for further clarification on this item. (Don't get excited, there is still no couch. A fact I have seriously lamented the last few months that I have felt ill.)

If I were to declare a resolution for 2012 it would be this:

“You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.”
― Tina FeyBossypants



See you tomorrow, Nerds!

*Thrifts of Terror will be moving to Saturdays starting Jan 21.

5 comments:

  1. You have to try something to realize it won't work for you, glad you're dropping reselling to do something that makes you shine, art. I'm going to schedule MUCH more art/craft/making time this year, too.

    Good luck, let's hit it this year and make 2012 so much better than 2011. Thank you for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for your decision to do what is best for you. I think for a while everyone almost felt obligated to open an Etsy store, but there are all kinds of ways to indulge our love for vintage things that don't involve selling it. (I finally told my SIL that I hate running the store by myself on Sundays, so he's hiring someone else and letting me stick to the things I like and do best.) I look forward to seeing all your art projects. Have fun!

    And I feel your pain about the allergies. I've been sick on and off all fall too. This time it's been 2 weeks of congestion and coughing. I'm so tired of feeling like crap that I could scream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies!
    Van-I'm loving the Sunday link up and your left behind posts. Fortunately I have the luxury of a well paying job I like, so I'd better be doing what I enjoy when I'm not working.

    Dana-Girl, I have been screaming like a banshee for weeks! It just had gotten to a point where the allergies had all compounded on each other and my body couldn't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana- i'm also glad to hear that the business is foing so well that you guys are moving to a bigger space and hiring on new people. That's so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks...now we just have to fill up all that extra space! :)

    I just noticed that you have on your dragon tee in the picture. Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete