Friday, February 17, 2012

Oriental Express: Sweet and Sour Chicken

All hail the return of the Vintage Kitsch'n!

From: Betty Crocker's Family Dinners in a Hurry
Recipe: Sweet and Sour Chicken from the "Oriental Express" chapter.

In need of a slow cooker dinner this week, I decided to modify this recipe from Family Dinners in a Hurry. Making it the opposite of being in a hurry. Though, since the Crock Pot was slow cooking while I was busy doing other things, it was not time consuming in the slightest.

In the tradition of the Betty Crocker cookbooks, there is an entire "Oriental" menu planned. But we're just sticking with the chicken and vegetables and serving it with some Trader Joe's frozen vegetable fried rice.



Creative Cookery: I do what I want.
I eliminated the breading and frying of the chicken, since that would never work in the slow cooker. I did however brown it in some olive oil for a few minutes.
I also used Mark Bittman's sweet and sour sauce recipe from How To Cook Everything.
Then I tossed everything in the Crock Pot and cooked it on low for 4 hours.
Kitchen Wares:

Verdict: Red Ribbon
It turned out OK, the sweet and sour taste is good and stayed flavorful through the slow cooking, but the sauce is thin. The chicken got kind of dried out. It would be better with thigh meat I think. Still, it's edible and will last for a couple dinners. It's not the best thing I've ever made, but not the worst either.

2 comments:

  1. It looks pretty tasty! And yaaaaaaaay...we're finally getting a Trader Joe's here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana- that's so exciting! I really couldn't live without a Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete