Monday, February 13, 2012

Thrift Share Monday: The Ultimate Thrift Share

OK Nerds, hold on to your butts. I have the ultimate Thrift Share Monday for you. After many months of searching high and low, my patience paid off and I found the perfect couch.


On Tuesday morning I had coffee with some friends in downtown New Haven. After coffee I was going to head to the gym, but decided to take a quick moment to check email and Facebook. There, on my Facebook feed was this beauty at Helping Hands.


They had just posted the photo 50 minutes before and the price was $99. I literally ran to my car and quickly drove across town. I walked into the store, gave the couch a look over and a sit. It fit all the criteria: comfortable, tufted cushions, wooden legs, long enough to lay down on, upholstered arms, and a reasonable price. Sold! I went to the counter and purchased the couch and paid for them to deliver it in to my apartment. It arrived this afternoon. I am thrilled. (So are the cats.)



It's a Drexel Heritage from their Lineage line. All of the tags are still intact. I haven't been able to date it yet but I'd guess 1950's-1960's. Though it is very close to the Drexel Profile line, which you can view via the link at Retro Renovation.


Here you can really see the fabric color, which is hard to photograph. Olive, gold, aqua, even a little brown, and slubby! The fabric feels really sturdy, which is great for my house, and there is only one tiny worn spot on the piping on the left arm. Otherwise, it's in amazing condition for it's age.


The pillows I have currently are old ones I got from Ikea ages ago.  I thought they would be too big, but really the size, fabric and color are kind of perfect.  Between the credenza and the couch the living room is really coming together. Now the quest begins for chairs to replace the wicker ones!


13 comments:

  1. Great couch! I love the fabric on that style of couch. It was made to last (and it did).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMFG...you finally found a sofa...and it's PERFECT. I love, love, love it! The style is beautiful, and the fabric color are amazing. You'll have so many colors you can put with it. It was soooooo worth the wait. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY!! FANTASTIC!!! I was so excited when I found my green couch of similar style!!! Congrats!!

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was totally worth the wait. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great couch! I love everything about it. I wish I had had the patience to wait for a great vintage couch to come along, but I did not. Though I do have one that is almost due to be replaced so maybe it is time to start searching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That is my ideal couch. If I could find something like this in either green, like yours, or grey I'd be over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! I would love to have that couch in our living room! The color is very nice, too. Earthy and very vintage. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one beautiful couch; way to score!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I love that... Not to go all Fight Club on a total stranger, but seriously - whatever else happens, you’ve got that sofa problem handled!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The couch looks fabulous in your space and it looks like the kitties are enjoying it! Congratulations on finding the perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE shape of this couch. Very nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No way, what a smoking deal and an awesome find!!! Good thing you didn't go to the gym ;) just kidding.

    Thanks for sharing the fabric detail - gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw your link on apronthrift and I must say that is the absolute PERFECT couch!!! It's gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete