Friday, April 27, 2012

Vintage Kitsch'n: The Jell-O You've Been Waiting For

The savory recipe.
Recipe: Tomato Aspic Molds
From: Betty Crocker's Hostess Cookbook


I've been fascinated with this recipe for some time. When I first glanced at it I said, "Ew, Tomato Aspic." Then I read the recipe and said "Hey, now this is basically the Jell-O version of a Virgin Bloody Mary." For a long time I thought I might try a seafood gelatin mold for the savory recipe, but I couldn't handle the thought of throwing it out if it was disgusting. So I kept it simple and went with what interested me.

Creative Cookery: I do what I want.
I pretty much followed the recipe to the letter, except I added 3oz of Absolut Vodka. I also halved the recipe. I mean who really needs that much Tomato Aspic if you are not entertaining with it?

Vintage Wares:
My latest fluted mold:



And of course I've been utilizing my extensive collection of Pyrex measuring cups to mix all of my gelatin creations.


And where would we be without a Pyrex plate for serving?


Verdict: Red Ribbon
It's not terrible. The smell of the cloves actually makes you want to eat it. There's a definite spicy kick from the Tabasco and cayenne. The lemon gelatin and tomato work well together. There is crunch from the celery. And with my variation, there is a buzz from the booze. It is as I suspected, a solidified Bloody Mary. I've been eating it with shrimp and polenta, and I have to say it's grown on me. But let's face it, it's still tomato Jell-O.

My official month of Jell-O is at an end, but hell I'm having such fun I'm just going to keep going. My copy of Hello, Jell-O is on it's way along with some small, individual molds and I can't wait to look for more molds while out thrifting. Next week, the Rainbow Jell-O Mold. Here's a tease:

2 comments:

  1. OMG...you're really going to try the rainbow? That looks really difficult and/or time-consuming, and I don't know if I'd have the courage to tackle it. I can't wait to see how it turns out for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana- the rainbow is not so bad. It does require patience and it's best if you've got cleaning or other small chores to do.

    ReplyDelete