Friday, April 13, 2012

Vintage Kitsch'n: J-E-L-L-O

The Jell-O experiment started off with plain recipes to facilitate the liquid diet I needed to have on Wednesday pre-medical procedure.

From: The New Joys of Jell-O
Recipe: Topaz Parfait



Part of the Super Desserts chapter. This boozy recipe involves coffee and brandy or rum. Sounds weird, but when I mentioned this recipe to my Mom she remembered her grandmother used to make a coffee gelatin concoction.


Creative Cookery: I do what I want.
I omitted the booze and used 3/4 cup of water with a teaspoon of rum extract.


I also (eventually) used canned whipped cream instead of the Dream Whip. I did buy a couple boxes of the Dream Whip, but after reading the ingredients I decided against it.


Kitchen Wares:
Pyrex for setting. In retrospect this was not the best choice since the Jell-O against the glass somehow creates a tough "skin."


Kings Crown for serving:


Verdict: Red Ribbon
I tried this without the whipped cream on Wednesday and it was a bit sugary and rich, I could really only eat a few spoon fulls. Trying this after the procedure with whipped cream was much better. The whipped cream cuts the sweetness. I would definitely like to try this again with the booze.

The procedure went fine, all is well. Next week: Adventures with Molded Jell-O.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I can tell you right now that I'm including the booze...LOL

    ReplyDelete