Friday, April 6, 2012

Vintage Kitsch'n: The New Joys of Jell-O

Welcome to Jell-O month at Vintage Spinster. I should start by saying the goal for this month of Jell-O goodness is for me to get over my dislike of Jell-O. I'm sure I've mentioned before that I have Crohn's Disease. Unfortunately, there was a period of time in my life when I was really ill and I could only really eat Jell-O, soup, and processed breads. Over the years I've managed to start appreciating and making my own soup. Why not try the same with gelatin by using some vintage recipes? Lucky me, I have a 1979 copy of The New Joys of Jell-O.


I have a medical procedure next week, for which I will need to ingest only liquids the day before.  (Totally routine-no big deal.) So instead of just making plain Jell-O flavors, I will utilize my stash of vintage cookbooks and make some exciting gelatin dishes. 


Bring on the Super Desserts!


I decided to see if some of the Molded Salad recipes are any good during the weekend after the procedure. The vegetable and meat gelatin recipes are fascinating. Time to see if they are any good!

Of course, where would we be without some vintage molds for this project? I used to have a Tupperware ring mold, but purged it from the kitchen ages ago. I think these metal ones I picked up at Savers for $5 have more appeal. Apparently the metal will help gelatin set quicker too.


Next week will feature the recipes I'm using for my day of liquids. And remember: "There's always room for Jell-O!"

1 comment:

  1. I'm probably the only person on earth who really likes Jello. In fact, I like it so much that I make the super-Jello-y bars that you slice and eat with your fingers (with extra gelatin added). I will be in heaven during Jello Month, although I confess that I was hoping it was something kinky...LOL

    ReplyDelete