Friday, May 4, 2012

Vintage Kitsch'n: Rainbow Jell-O

Recipe: Classic Rainbow Jell-O Mold
From: Hello, Jell-O!*
*Note that this is not a vintage cookbook, however the sentiment behind this book is definitely vintage inspired. Because this is a new book I won't be posting any photos of the recipe. Should you like to try your hand at it, the recipe can be found here via the author's blog.

The Jell-O Experiment has been a complete success. I am totally back into enjoying gelatin again. Many thanks are due to the vintage cookbooks of yore as well as new inspiration from the blog The Jello Mold Mistress of Brooklyn and the subsequent book Hello, Jell-O! As soon as I saw it I knew I had to give the Rainbow Mold a try.


Creative Cookery: I do what I want
I followed the recipe. Though judging when the mold is ready for the next layer is tricky. I also wasn't sure how many cups my mold would hold so I wasn't 100% sure how many colors I would end up with.


The Flavors: Strawberry, Orange, Lemon, Lime

Vintage Wares:

Aluminum ring mold:


LuRay Pastel plate for serving:


Verdict: Blue Ribbon
Yes, this recipe takes a lot of patience, but it is worth it. I brought the mold to our latest Opening Night at work and it was a big hit. Most people described it as "happiness on a plate." Nice.


If you want to try it out, I would suggest using a timer to check the set. Also it's a great activity if you have lots of little cleaning chores to do around the house. Or if you are a reseller, maybe it's a good project for between setting up listings.

2 comments:

  1. Any rainbow-themed food is a-okay in my book. This jello mold looks like a lot of fun!

    <3 Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!

    ReplyDelete